Warning: Potential SPOILERS for Action comics #1054Starting this April Superman’s ally Steelaka John Henry Irons, will be getting his own featured story Action comics. Steel’s new era is about to begin as DC launches its revamped series of Superman books.
DC’s flagship title, Action comics, gets a new three-part form starting with issue #1051. With Power Girl’s story set to wrap up in March, Steel will take over her slot starting with issue 1054. According to the April solicit: “A new era for John Henry Irons begins in ‘Steel Forged’ Part 1!” While there is little other information about Steel’s story, the multi-cover issue features John Henry’s niece, Natasha Irons. The rest of the prompt reads as follows:
ACTION COMIC #1054
- Written by PHILLIP KENNEDY JOHNSON, DAN JURGENS and DORADO QUICK
- Art by RAFA SANDOVAL, DAN JURGENS and YASMIN FLORES MONTANEZ
- Cover by STEVE BEACH
- Variant cover from RAFA SANDOVAL
- Super Workout Connection Variation (Part 1 of 4) by DAVID TALASKI
- 1:25 variant cover by YASMIN FLORES MONTANEZ
- 1:50 foil variant cover from STEVE BEACH
- Superman variant cover by IBRAHIM MOUSTAFA
- $4.99 | 48 pages | Variant $5.99 (card stock)
- FOR SALE 4/25/23
- As Superman and Natasha Irons race to rescue Steel from the newly transformed Metallo, the Super Twins are lost—and alone—against the nightmarish threat of the Necrohive! How will Lois and the House of El find them? Plus, learn the shocking identity of the mysterious “Ghost in the Machine” behind Metallo’s transformation as he and Superman face off in an epic rematch for the ages!
- Plus: A new era for John Henry Irons begins in “Steel Forged” Part 1! And Dan Jurgens explores the not-too-distant past world of “Lois and Clark 2” in a bold new interlude!
Steel deserves a place to shine in Superman’s New Era
Steel is a frequent ally of Superman and the other Kryptonians, though he himself is as human as they come. John Henry Irons debuted as Steel during the iconic Death of Superman history in the early 1990s. A skilled, brilliant engineer, he built his own armor and stepped in to help Metropolis in the wake of Superman’s death, simply because it was the right thing to do. More recently, during the already classic “Warworld Saga” storyline, John Henry helped Superman and his niece Natasha save the people of Warworld using his engineering skills from the Fortress of Solitude.
Although readers do not yet know many details about Steel’s new story in the pages of Action comics, it’s exciting to know that he’ll be the next Superman ally to get his own spotlight in the show’s new format. Few characters in Metropolis deserve this spotlight—and that’s saying something as the Superman family begins to step up and serve their city in an even more dedicated capacity in 2023.
Steel’s”New era” is an exciting prospect, and hopefully readers will learn more about his specific place in DC’s renewed Metropolis. Regardless of where John Henry Irons ends up in this story, he’s sure to support Superman and their other friends as faithful as Steel always have.
More: DC’s alternate Superman proves he deserves to be in the DCEU
Check out Action comics #1054, available April from DC Comics!